My dog ​​eats soap: what to do?

Dogs eat inanimate objects. Dogs eat slimy food. well, almost anything! When considering household items that could be a problem for your pet, you may miss one of the most common: soap. Since we humans love to add pleasant scents to our soap, your dog might find it a delicious treat. If your dog eats soap, you may be worried. Are you sick? Is soap poisonous?

If your dog eats soap or licks a little liquid soap, you’re right to be a little worried – but don’t panic. Read on for the facts, including what soap actually is made of, how eating soap affects your dog’s health, and how to know when to take your pup to the vet.

What’s in the soap?

Although every soap is slightly different, most liquid soaps contain water, oil (usually DEA cocamide, monoethanolamine, and/or glycerin), fragrances, and dyes, including ingredients such as sodium lauryl sulfate, parabens, triclosan, and Cocamidopropyl betaine.

Bars and soaps labeled “natural” contain similar ingredients. Some soaps also contain essential oils or dried herbs

Your Dog Eats Soap: Should You Worry?

Some of the ingredients commonly used in the soap are harmful to humans if swallowed. However, it can be difficult to understand with certainty how dangerous it is if a dog swallows soap.

Soaps made with essential oils can be very harmful to dogs. The Home Poison Helpline explains that pine oil, a common additive in disinfectants and cleaning products, can cause serious side effects in dogs who ingest it. Consumption of soap with pine oil can cause vomiting, skin irritation, fusion, weakness, loss of muscle control, and possible damage to the kidneys and liver.

Soap can also cause burns in your dog’s mouth, esophagus, and stomach. Also, ingesting large amounts of bar soap can cause your pet to become constipated.

Open the next page to continue reading…





Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *